Review: Haven by Kristi Cook

One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future. 

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven. 

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first



This is one of those books that I wanted to give up on at some points, but also wanted to finish reading. All the time I kept seeing other books in it. I basically went this whole book finding cliches, and because I enjoyed some aspects of the novel, it killed me; here are a few;


-Girl goes to new boarding school. Almost a cliche in every paranormal YA romance, I kept sensing Sword & Cross from Lauren Kate's Fallen!
-Meets mysterious boy - he says he is too dangerous and tries to keep her away. Anyone else screaming EDWARD CULLEN?!
-Boy has past girl is jealous over; The Vampire Diaries/Evermore.


Oh the list of cliches continues, I don't fancy carrying on as I may give spoilers away, but let me say this. Don't read if you want an original plot. I mean, sure, I understand all books have to have a base, whether its another story, or a fairy tale or a myth. I understand Cook most likely didn't think 'hey, I'm gonna create a rip off book', I couldn't help but frown at how unoriginal it was, and while it was a good storyline and I enjoyed the events happening, I just knew what was going to happen, and I don't like when I can do that, it almost ruins a book for me.


That being said, it wasn't all bad, put aside the slightly whiney heroine and unoriginality and you get a hot love interest, Aiden was cute, protective, all of the things you need in a cheesy YA romance, but at some point he fell short, he didn't pull it off the way some of the book hotties can, and I need a good book hottie! It didn't help that everytime I read the name Aiden my head kept replacing it with Edward, and Violet; Bella. I can't help it, anybody who knows me will know my opinion on Twilight, don't get me started.


What I did like about this book was the writing style, it was great and probably the only reason I carried on reading, Cook's writing is blunt and honest, she doesn't attempt to sound poetic, which is good, I loved the voice she gave Violet, which was honest but not cynical or snarky, while I quite disliked Violet's character (too whiney, too typical), I loved her voice.


I also don't really see the relevance of the cover?


I can't say I loved this book, I don't think I really liked it, but I didn't really hate it. Not a page-turner really, but if you're looking for a book to kill time with it is worth giving a shot. I have read a lot of good reviews as well and I don't speak as a voice for all readers, so It's worth checking out other reviews, as well as mine.


Overall rating: D+



Stand alone/series: First in a series
Released: February 22nd 2011 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 416
Book obtained via: Borrowed

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.