Hi guys!


I'm on a temporary hiatus at the moment. I'm not sure how long it will be.

I've been taking some time off reading to concentrate on other hobbies that blogging hasn't given me much time for, I'm also having to get ready for university starting again in a few weeks!


There may be a few reviews popping up from pre-scheduled but at the moment I'm taking some time off!!


-Jade


Thursday, 21 April 2011

Review: Haven by Kristi Cook

One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future. 

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven. 

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first



This is one of those books that I wanted to give up on at some points, but also wanted to finish reading. All the time I kept seeing other books in it. I basically went this whole book finding cliches, and because I enjoyed some aspects of the novel, it killed me; here are a few;


-Girl goes to new boarding school. Almost a cliche in every paranormal YA romance, I kept sensing Sword & Cross from Lauren Kate's Fallen!
-Meets mysterious boy - he says he is too dangerous and tries to keep her away. Anyone else screaming EDWARD CULLEN?!
-Boy has past girl is jealous over; The Vampire Diaries/Evermore.


Oh the list of cliches continues, I don't fancy carrying on as I may give spoilers away, but let me say this. Don't read if you want an original plot. I mean, sure, I understand all books have to have a base, whether its another story, or a fairy tale or a myth. I understand Cook most likely didn't think 'hey, I'm gonna create a rip off book', I couldn't help but frown at how unoriginal it was, and while it was a good storyline and I enjoyed the events happening, I just knew what was going to happen, and I don't like when I can do that, it almost ruins a book for me.


That being said, it wasn't all bad, put aside the slightly whiney heroine and unoriginality and you get a hot love interest, Aiden was cute, protective, all of the things you need in a cheesy YA romance, but at some point he fell short, he didn't pull it off the way some of the book hotties can, and I need a good book hottie! It didn't help that everytime I read the name Aiden my head kept replacing it with Edward, and Violet; Bella. I can't help it, anybody who knows me will know my opinion on Twilight, don't get me started.


What I did like about this book was the writing style, it was great and probably the only reason I carried on reading, Cook's writing is blunt and honest, she doesn't attempt to sound poetic, which is good, I loved the voice she gave Violet, which was honest but not cynical or snarky, while I quite disliked Violet's character (too whiney, too typical), I loved her voice.


I also don't really see the relevance of the cover?


I can't say I loved this book, I don't think I really liked it, but I didn't really hate it. Not a page-turner really, but if you're looking for a book to kill time with it is worth giving a shot. I have read a lot of good reviews as well and I don't speak as a voice for all readers, so It's worth checking out other reviews, as well as mine.


Overall rating: D+



Stand alone/series: First in a series
Released: February 22nd 2011 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 416
Book obtained via: Borrowed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.