Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.




I started this book expecting something fantastic as I've been hearing all about it all over the blogosphere. The cover is also so gorgeous that I couldn't help but want to read it.


This book started so well, Fallon has some great skills with writing and creates a great Irish setting. The book has great description and has this really natural feel. As well as that, Fallon's setting is so vivid that you feel really as if you're there. i love the idea of the Irish setting and Megan's Americanisms being out of place.


After the great start, the book started to follow a familiar plotline... I hate using this book as a comparison but it started to seem a bit, errr, Twilight-esque! Okay, sorry, I hate doing comparisons but the plot was very similar even down to the family set-up and romance aspect. It seemed very cliche and unoriginal but the fantastic writing made it interesting to read. As well as this, the characters were wooden at times and the insta-love story didn't seem well developed, I liked the character of Rhian most because he was better developed.


However, the thing that saved this book for me was the mythology - the story of the powers that Megan and the DeRis's had was well developed and explained, I liked the mythological aspect of it and while at times I got lost with how things were and what made Megan special, as soon as I got my head around it I really enjoyed it.


Overall, whilst it isn't original in the plot line and development, the special powers were well developed and the writing was absolutely amazing and vivid. I would recommend this to fans of books like Twilight and Die for Me.


Overall rating: C+



Published in the UK by HarperCollins children's books on October 27th.
Book received for review from the publisher.

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.