Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. 

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....




Ah, where do I start with this book? I guess I should start by saying that this book was one that I can't make my mind up about but I'll also admit that this is probably my own fault because I had to keep picking up and putting down this book in order to revise for exams and so my reading was fragmented and my mind was distracted even when I was reading... so much for escapism...


I actually really liked the premise of this book. Sure, it's got a similar vibe to most of the other angel/demon books out there but the addition of the 'Grays' adds a hint of originality to the mix and honestly I think that Rowen did her best to make this book live up to it's potential. Does she quite reach it? No, there were some things that she could have done to make it more engaging and exciting but it was a good read. I also really liked that this was pretty much a religion free zone, as very few angel/demon books are.


I was gripped right at the beginning of the book because Rowen doesn't spend ages introducing everything to us, we learn as we go along and overall the pacing was fantastic in this book because it is pretty consistent. I won't say it was 'edge-of-seat' reading but I didn't have to force myself to keep reading. 


The characters were my worse problem with this book. I just didn't like Sam, I don't think she was strong, or smart and every single character is calling special but I really didn't get what makes her so 'special'. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike her, I just don't think she did much and she definitlely did nothing for me. I kind of liked Bishop, but once again there was more development needed on his character, I did like finding little bits of information about him out. The romance needed some work as well, uber insta-love... I despise it, it was cute when they did kiss but they'd only known each other for a few days. I liked the character of Kraven, he was snarky and attitudy and actually had a personality but I can see a love triangle coming in and I know which way it;s going to go.


Overall, Dark Kiss was an entertaining enough read that didn't keep me gripped but kept me interested. Everything was great apart from the characters which seriously lacked personalities.


Overall Rating: C



Released May 29th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Book received as an eGalley from NetGalley



No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.