Review: The Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler

The Shapeshifter's SecretJulia is finally discovering what–not who–she is. 

Like any sixteen-year-old, Julia's used to dealing with problems. From her overprotective father to her absent mother to a teacher who definitely has it in for her. But everything changes when Julia's reactions become oddly vicious and angry---more animal than human. This action-packed adventure has it all: humor, romance, and a plot that will keep you guessing to the very last page.




You know, I read so many books and say that they remind me of Twilight but there were so many aspects of this book that reminded me of Harry Potter: the boarding school, the three friends, the strange markings on the wall and the secret passages as well as the really obvious fact that Julia is 'special' and world known. 


This isn't a writing fault but I did find a lot of editing faults in this book that put me off it. There was an editing fault in the first sentence, which didn't really help. I really struggled with the writing as well, it was very cliche and wasn't very skilled. I couldn't find anything unique in Julia's voice or the writing style.


I really struggled with Julia as a character. She was stupid and kept putting herself at risk by doing idiotic things even when she is warned against them but at the same time she is some shapeshifting prodigy. The romance was pretty terrible as well, at first I thought that she was going to get with Caleb but she didn't in the end, she fell madly in love with Terrence after two days... I mean, the insta-love annoyed me but what REALLY annoyed me is that even though she get's with this other guy she still has the audacity to get stupidly jealous over the fact that Caleb has a girlfriend... I mean, seriously? Selfish much! To be honest, I didn't really care for either off the boys though, they both seemed very cardboard and cliche and had no delay.


I could go on, but I don't want to. I really just want to forget this book and move on to better things, fast.


Overall Rating: E



Book released 12th June 2012 by Cedar Fort.
Book received as an eGalley for review from NetGalley.

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.