Review: Echo by Alyson Noel

Echo (Soul Seekers, #2)


Daire Santos has already saved her grandmother's life and her soul. But at a cost: the Richter family has been let loose in the Lowerworld. Daire and her boyfriend Dace Richter must work together to find them before chaos ensues and the balance between good and evil is destroyed. As their relationship deepens, Dace's evil brother Cade grows stronger than ever, building his power and forcing Daire and Dace to confront the horrifying prophecy that has brought them all together. It will leave Daire no choice but to claim her true destiny as Seeker, but only by making an unthinkable sacrifice.


This book takes place very soon after the first book, so like two to three months after Daire moved to Enchantment and I can't get past the extreme amounts of over the top insta-love in this book. I mean, Daire and Dace are like getting all depressed and suicidal because they are apart from each other and they've only been dating for a month. I get all of the fate and the fact that they are 'tied together by destiny' but seriously. Chill it out a little, you two could be so cute together if you just let it develop more realistically!

Kay... insta-love rant over, sorry guys.

As in the first book in this series I really loved the shaman paranormal aspect of it, though there was noticeably less in this one. I found that the action scenes were better written but I did feel like the romance overtook this book, which made it a little less enjoyable than the first in the series for me. 

The characters were a little better in this one though. Dace was just perfect and I felt like Daire was developed a little more and so was more likeable. I found myself actually liking jennika in this book and Xotichl was fantastic. Cade was genuinely evil in this one and seemed more multi-dimensional in this one. The new character, Phyre, I really don't like, but I can't wait to see what she's hiding, I think she will a fantastic addition to the series.

Overall, whilst I made it through Echo i did feel like it was a let down after the first book and even that one I didn't love. I will probably continue the series but it isn't going to be near to top of my must-read list.

Overall Rating: C-


Book released November 22nd 2012 by PanMacmillan
Book received from the publisher for review (Print)


No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.