Review: Aurelia by Anne Osterlund

Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)
Princess Aurelia is next in line to rule the kingdom of Tyralt, but she would rather be one of the common folk, free to learn and roam and . . . not marry the next tyrannical prince that comes courting. Naturally, the king wants Aurelia to marry for political power. Aurelia wants to marry for love. And someone in the kingdom wants her . . . dead. Assigned to investigate and protect Aurelia is Robert, the son of the king's former royal spy and one of Aurelia's oldest friends. As Aurelia and Robert slowly uncover clues as to who is threatening her, their friendship turns to romance. With everything possible on the line, her life, her kingdom, her heart, Aurelia is forced to take matters into her own hands, no matter the cost.



I loved Osterlund's Academy 7 last year and had to read Aurelia, this book was fantastic as well. I really liked how Osturlund mixed genres. there is a fantasy/historical kind of genre but there are settings that are reminiscent of wild west kind of places which was a great addition that I hope we see more of in the sequel.


I really liked Osterlund's writing, it reminded me of a fairy tale as it was quite distant and descriptive which I really liked. I loved the amount of description as it helped to creat an image of the country where Aurelia lived, the writing was one of the selling points for me in the book.


I also loved the character building. Aurelia was a great character, despite the fact that she was stupid at times most of the time she was an independent and spunky young woman that I enjiyed reading about, Robert was a great male lead because he's romantic and teasing and a little awkward around Aurelia. the more sinister characters are developed in a way that make us question their motives making this a mystery as well as a fantasy/historical romance. I never even saw the end coming.


I will most definitely be reading the sequel, Exile and am very glad that I picked this book up.


Overall Rating: B



Released April 2012 by Speak
Book bought.

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.