Review: Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

Vessel


Liyana has trained her entire life to be the vessel of a goddess. The goddess will inhabit Liyana’s body and use magic to bring rain to the desert. But Liyana’s goddess never comes. Abandoned by her angry tribe, Liyana expects to die in the desert. Until a boy walks out of the dust in search of her.

Korbyn is a god inside his vessel, and a trickster god at that. He tells Liyana that five other gods are missing, and they set off across the desert in search of the other vessels. For the desert tribes cannot survive without the magic of their gods. But the journey is dangerous, even with a god’s help. And not everyone is willing to believe the trickster god’s tale.

The closer she grows to Korbyn, the less Liyana wants to disappear to make way for her goddess. But she has no choice: She must die for her tribe to live. Unless a trickster god can help her to trick fate—or a human girl can muster some magic of her own.

Ahhhh where do I start with Vessel? I had so many high hopes for it, the desert tribe setting, the mythology and the adventure.... this sounded like a fantasy adventure that I would absolutely love and everything for me in this book was absolutely perfect... except for one big thing;

The plot and pacing; I loved the premise of this story and I loved the first third of this book and the last third of this book, it was just the middle of this book that I struggled with and I mean seriously struggled. The amount of repetition and over description really bored me which meant that it really dragged. I'm glad that I kept reading because the end of the book was worth reading for, I really was happy with how the climax resolved and I was very happy with how the romance resolved. 

There was a little bit of a love triangle, but one of the boys didn't appear until the end of the book which meant that we didn't get to know him very well... nonetheless, I did really liked the second guy. Korbyn was a good character on the surface but there wasn't really much else to him, which was the problem with most of the characters really.

I did love the storyline itself, the setting is gorgeous and well described and this world with the Gods and the mythology is fantastic. The other flaws just meant that I couldn't really get into it and for me that was so disappointing.

Book released 11th September 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry
Book bought by myself (eBook)



Other books from this author:

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.