Review: Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett

Geek GirlJen's life of partying and sneaking out has grown stale. So on a whim, Jen makes a bet to turn Trevor, a goody-two-shoes geek, into a "bad boy." As she hangs out with Trevor, however, she finds it's actually kinda fun being a geek. But when Trevor finds out about the bet, Jen must fight for the things she's discovered matter most: friendship, family, and, above all, love.



"Stop smiling Jade. Stop smiling! This book was cheesy and corny and predictable so how dare you enjoy it so much! Stop enjoying this book!" 


That was my thought process for the first half of this book because it was so predictable and the first half lacked depth, I kept telling myself off for enjoying it because it lacked in originality, but for me, this didn't matter because it was funny and cute and so well written.


The start was a bit hard to get into, we get Jen, this goth-ish character who is just the stereotypical bad girl and didn't seem multi-layered and then there's Trevor who i didn't find geeky at all - sure he watches sci-fi movies, he is also good at sport, class president, he plays guitar and piano, he didn't seem like a geek, more like the typical nice guy, so i didn't play into the characters to start with. The plot development started out pretty predicatably, with the bet and how Jen goes about it, and it was obvious how that would turn out.


But i could just not stop myself smiling, predictable as it was. I had awww moments and yay moments and I barely made it through this book without looking at the last page to see how it turned out (I would have if it wasn't my kindle that i was reading it on). The first half was pretty fluffy, but when we get to the second half, we hear Jen's story, we come to see her as layered character and want her and Trev to work out, the book takes this whole new direction with sweet moments but also a lot of heartbreak.


I enjoyed the book because it was pretty easy read, it does deal with some difficult aspect but it isn't a totally angsty read like a lot of contemps lately. I didn't find it absolutely amazing, and I struggled to buy into the whole 'Trevor is a geek' thing, but it was an enjoyable read.


Overall rating: B



Released 8th December through Cedar Fort, book received as an eGalley through NetGalley.

6 comments

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog yesterday and I have to say I like it. I like the way you write your reviews and look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade - Thanks for the review! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. :o) Cute blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jade

    Just a quick note to let you know that we now have a facebook page for the UK Book Giveaway site, heres link

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/UK-and-International-Book-Giveaways-UK-inclusive/118558948257236?sk=wall

    Let me know if your ok to be added as admin aswell and send me your facebook link if you want to be xx

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved geek girl too! I LOVED Trevor, and want one of my own;} Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Geek Girl last year yet the characters have stayed with me ever since. Maybe because the book reminded me of high school, maybe because Jen and Trevor seemed like the kids next door. There are only a few heroes I keep dear to my heart and these two are by far on my fav's list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo I have this waiting for me on my kindle and now m SOOOO exctied to get round to it! It might have to go to the top of the pile! great review!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.