Review: Silver and Stone by J.D. Thompson

Silver and Stone (Bloodlines, #1)Welcome to high school high society hell, where last season’s slingbacks can warrant a lunch table demotion, the wrong date will knock you off the it-list and behind every pair of over sized Chanel sunglasses lies a secret people are dying to keep. 

As if senior year at Weatherford Preparatory School wasn’t hard enough, sixteen year old Alexis Bardolph had to add school outcast to the curriculum.

A new found notoriety following a family scandal, her lacrosse star boy-friend dumping her for a former BFF and a string of perpetually bad hair days were among the many things going wrong in her already turbulent teenage life.

But when the haunting nightmares that have plagued her since childhood begin to take an eerily tangible form and several Holler Creek residents are reported missing, Alexis can’t help but wonder if there isn’t more to her hellish dreams than meets the eye.

The unexpected arrival of a mysterious and dangerously handsome new student ultimately leads Alexis to troubling truths that not even her wildest imagination could have conjured.




From the first page of this book I knew I was getting something pretty different, it kind of has the same plot points as many para-romances; (mysterious new guy, best friend with a crush, a bit of insta-love), it never really had the predictability because just when I thought that the plot was going in an annoyingly predictable direction is suddenly spun me around so that I was immersed in the mystery again. 


I liked that the characters were mature and felt real, Alexis is going through a load of emotions and hasn't been sleeping well and her state of mind is written so well, Lucas doesn't seem too mysterious, he seems like a cute, romantic guy with an edge of mystery, but he isn't as one dimensional as many para-romance guys. The romance developed a little too fast for my liking, but even though it was insta-love it wasn't just "Oooh hot guy, I'm in love", it was more the way that the thing's Lucas said made Alexis feel, making it a bit better, I liked their relationship after they got together and at so many points I was surprised by the direction the relationship turns.


The mystery of the book is something that kept me reading, we are not told what Alexis is and what her dreams are about, or what the mystery around Lucas is until the very end, so I liked reading and guessing. I did find that the paranormal aspect near the end too a popular plot though. The action near the end, where it is all revealed is so well written, it was edge of seat, can't believe this is happening reading and I really enjoyed it.


Overall, Silver and Stone was gripping and pretty original. I was put off by the insta-love and the way that the paranormal aspect manifests, but enjoyed it primarily.


Overall Rating: B



Book received from author for review.

1 comment

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.