Review: Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas GothicAmy Goodnight knows that the world isn't as simple as it seems—she grew up surrounded by household spells and benevolent ghosts. But she also understands that "normal" doesn't mix with magic, and she's worked hard to build a wall between the two worlds. Not only to protect any hope of ever having a normal life. 


Ranch-sitting for her aunt in Texas should be exactly that. Good old ordinary, uneventful hard work. Only, Amy and her sister, Phin, aren't alone. There's someone in the house with them—and it's not the living, breathing, amazingly hot cowboy from the ranch next door.

It's a ghost, and it's more powerful than the Goodnights and all their protective spells combined. It wants something from Amy, and none of her carefully built defenses can hold it back.

This is the summer when the wall between Amy's worlds is going to come crashing down.




I just love young adult ghost stories, but I find that they kind of go one of two ways - the really horror, thrillery kind of scary that I try to avoid, or girl who can talk to ghosts falls in love with one/forms an attachment with resident ghost, which tends to get dull after so many reads. For me, Texas Gothic was a break away from the typical ghost stories and concentrates more on the mystery surrounding the past of the ghost.


What also made Texas Gothic so fantastically original was that the set up was so different. Amy was the new girl at a new town, but she's looking after her aunt's ranch, already knows that magic exists, isn't painfully shy or cheesily erratic, no, she was one of the best heroines that I have read in a long time: spunky, strong-minded, a bit silly but not too stupid.


The romance was different as well, no love at first sight sexual tension. there was definite attraction, but it seemed real, not forced or overly described, it was subtle. I do have a thing for cowboys (we're so short in supply here in the UK) and so i may have been biased but I also loved hot/cold, strong, protective Ben.... eee!


The pacing was good, my only criticism being that at times the author tended to overdescribe and tell, not show. I found that the writing didn't stand out for me, it wasn't bad but it could have been maybe a little more unique.


Overall, Texas Gothic was a great read that took some time to get into but was enjoyable as it brought something fresh to the YA genre.


Overall Rating: B



Published July 7th by Corgi children's
Book bought by myself.

3 comments

  1. Great review! I wasn't a huge fan of this one but enjoyed her previous book Splendour Falls. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this one! I love ghost stories, and this sounds especially good since it breaks from the norm. Glad you enjoyed it, and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! It definitely sounds like a book I should be reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.