Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter MeJuliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




Oh. Wow. 
Sorry, can't formulate words right now.
This book was absolutely breathtaking, the story was amazing and the writing was absolutely beautiful, it was the type of book that had me gripped from page one to the last page which is rare because usually it takes me a chapter or so to immersed in the book.
So yeah, this book was pretty awesome.


What was the best part of this book? I'd have to say the writing, if I had to chose, but nothing about this book was bad. The writing style was so unique, there were lines crossed out and numbers as a motif which added something special to it. The narrating voice was beautiful and totally reflects Juliette's mindset, at the beginning the writing is very magical, the thoughts are scattered and full of metaphors which showed Juliette's loneliness in prison, the thoughts go from romantic to strong and I loved that the writing was so different.


The story was so different, it was like... a dystopian superhero book, but so much more. The world created was bleak, and Juliette's story is quite deep but it's unique to a lot of dystopians because of the superpower storyline. It was also nice to read a book which was the first in a series but it concluded well so even though I desperately want to read the sequel it didn't leave me on this annoying cliffhanger, which was fantastic.


Adam and Juliette, I loved. Juliette is broken but she's also strong, with equal sharings of the two, Adam was amazing, get me an Adam(please). I loved him from the start, I felt betrayed by him at times, but also trusted him. I liked that their romance was already developed, so whilst it comes on pretty quickly they also knew each other before the story so it felt believable.


Overall, this book goes beside Divergent as one of my favorite YA books of the year. Thank you, Tahereh Mafi, for writing this beautiful work of art.


Overall Rating: A+


Book released November 15th 2011 by HarperCollins, I bought this book.

1 comment

  1. I'm soo glad you liked this. Reading it right now (about 90 pages left before I'm finished... arrgh, I don't want it to end) and I'm really in love with it! Amazing writing!

    Great review. :)
    Carina

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.