Review: Feyland: The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp

Feyland: The Dark RealmWHEN A GAME…
Feyland is the most immersive computer game ever designed, and fifteen-year-old Jennet Carter is the first to play the prototype. But she doesn’t suspect the virtual world is close enough to touch — or that she’ll be battling for her life against the Dark Queen of the faeries.

TURNS REAL…

Tam Linn is the perfect hero — in-game. Too bad the rest of his life is seriously flawed. The last thing he needs is rich-girl Jennet prying into his secrets, insisting he’s the only one who can help her.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING…

Together, Jennet and Tam enter the Dark Realm of Feyland, only to discover that the entire human world is in danger. Pushed to the limit of their abilities, they must defeat the Dark Queen… before it’s too late.




Bottom line? I loved this book. I think I might be a bit biased as the whole concept massively appeals to me, as a World of Warcraft player (don't scoff, we all have our guilty pleasures). The concept is fantastic and I loved that the story was set in the future, but we only know that because of the technology, the other changes are subtle. It's futuristic fantasy, but not dystopian which is pretty refreshing. What really grabbed me was how well Sharp meshed the real world with the fantasy world so seamlessly, and the way she described her world was so vivid.

At first, I didn't think that I would like Jennet as a character, I felt that at the beginning she acted selfish and immaturely, and was simply using Tam and not considering the risks that she was putting him at, though I started to like her more and more when I saw her reasoning. I instantly liked Tam, and I liked the way that his viewpoint on Jennet changed as ours did, it made me feel very immersed in the story. I also enjoyed that their relationship was very much a partnership, you can see the relationship develop but it's very much in the background until the right moment, meaning that this book is more about the adventure than the romance.

I absolutely loved Sharp's writing, the third person writing but following both characters meant that we get a wide view of both of the lived and how they come to intertwine, and as well as that the world she created was fantastic. I look forward to reading more from her.

Overall Rating: A


Released 16th December 2011 and I recieved the book for review from the author. 

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.