Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?


Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?



When I first heard about this I was intrigued and it went onto my wishlist straight away, when I received it as a surprise in the post from the amazing Emma at Bloomsbury I was straight into it. After seeing an amazing review from Annmarie over at Best Books I had high hopes. Did it disappoint? No. It didn't exceed my expectations but I really enjoyed reading this book.

I think that what I really enjoyed about this book was the writing. I loved how Miranda managed to put Delaney's feelings into words, how she felt as though she wasn't 'right', her feelings of isolation. She felt very confused and alone and fragmented and this was displayed through Miranda's writing. She managed to write in a beautiful but realistic way.

My issue with this book was that i don't think that the concepts were explored to their full potential. it could have been more than the typical YA romance. Whilst I love the genre, I think Fracture could have been one of those amazing, rare reads and instead it was just great. I would have liked a bit more of a focus on the 'power' that Delaney develops, rather than her relationships with Decker and Troy. I liked that the bad guy was actually kind of a bad guy and the boy next door wins out, it was something fresh in the relationship. 

The characters are also pretty good, I liked Delaney as she was relateable and did teenage things like hooking up with Carson, she had a real teenage life, she was popular but not too popular and intelligent but flawed. She was a real girl and that made her believable. her story is believable despite the supernatural elements and she reacts in the ways that she should. I loved her developing relationship with Decker (he's the typical boy next door and I LOVED him!) as well as her conflicted feelings for Troy... don't worry, it isn't that much of a love triangle!

Overall I loved the story and writing of Fracture and the characters were good to read. I cared about Delaney and her story, I just feel as though it should have been developed in a slightly different way to live up to it's potential...

Overall Rating: B



Released 5th January through Bloomsbury.
My copy was received from the publisher in exchange for and honest review.


Other books from this author:
Hysteria 

2 comments

  1. I loved Decker too! Wasn't overly fond of Delaney though, thought she was a bit blunt, but I could relate to her I guess. Glad you enjoyed this one overall, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :) I have this on my TBR. It sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.