Author Interview - Anne Tibbets, Author of The Beast Call

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming the fantastic Anne Tibbets to my blog. Anne is the author of the  fantastic fantasy The Beast Call and co-author of The Amulet Chronicles.


Find my review of The Beast Call here


Onto the interview!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hi Anne, thanks for stopping by today!
It's a pleasure, thanks for having me!

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm a former script writer for children's television, who rediscovered my love for novels after I quit the biz to have kids.  I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fan Geek and I love a good super hero flick.  I read just about everything, be it adult or YA. I'm not picky.
And no, I'm not a natural red head, but I should have been.  It's one of the many injustices in the universe.

Can you tell us a little about The Beast Call?
'The Beast Call' is about a simple farm girl who runs away from a crummy family and through her magical ability to communicate with animals, and her natural talent for sword play, ends up saving her world.

Now try and describe The Beast Call in three words...
Action. Magic. Destiny.

Where did the inspiration for The Beast Call come from?
There was a time when I played World of Warcraft.  Don't judge, it can be pretty fun! I don't have time to play anymore, but when I did, I was a Night Elf Druid.  Druids can turn into animals, and I LOVED that about them, being an animal lover myself.  But I didn't want to copy it exactly, and I wanted the heroine to be as relatable as possible, so I made her human. So I made her a human with telepathic abilities with animals, then created a world where that could be more of a curse than a blessing.

I know what you mean... The Beast Call had me wanting to play Runescape again! Did you plan for it to be young adult from the start or did it just happen as you wrote it?
It was planned as YA. I love, love, love, love (did I mention I love this?) 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and I wanted so much to create a strong, teenage, reluctant heroine, similar to Buffy.

The heroine, Dray, is pretty kick-ass and independent, who are your top three literary heroines and why?
Eowyn from 'Return of the King' - Lord of the Rings #3 (Her, 'I am no man!' scene sends me into fits of happy giggles)
Elizabeth Bennet from 'Pride and Prejudice' - (A simple, smart girl with an embarrassing family)
Lisel from 'The Book Thief' - (that girl can endure!)

The description of the world, Madis, in The Beast Call is just gorgeous, but what are your top three fantasy worlds and why?
Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings) - the majesty, the medieval similarities between that world and this, the grand scope of it.
Icewind Dale (Forgotten Realms) - the harshness of the land, yet the gruff loyalty of the people (Drizzt, especially)
Hogwarts (Harry Potter) - what person did not read that book and immediately wish for a letter of acceptance? It's fun, exciting, magical and rich with texture.

If you could meet any three author in the world, who would it be? 
R.A. Salvatore
J.K. Rowling
Lois Lowry
I didn't even have to think about it...

Do you have any upcoming works you'd like to shamelessly advertise here? 
Come September, I will continue to work on 'The Beast Reign' - the sequel to 'The Beast Call.' I hope to have it ready by early 2012, if not sooner. I'll be sure to let you know when it comes out!

Finally, is there something you would like to say to my readers?
Thank you so much for the wonderful support! It means the world to me, truly.

------------------------------------------------------------

Please show your support for Anne and buy the book, it is available at the following links:

Apple iBook ($0.99)
B&N Nook ($0.99)
Smashwords ($0.99)

1 comment

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.