Review: Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

The novels follow the story of Lila, a 17-year-old with the power of telekinesis, and Alex, her brother’s best friend and long-time love interest. When a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila runs away to Southern California, where Alex and her brother are working for a secret organisation called The Unit and searching for the men who killed Lila’s mother five years before. Lila unwittingly becomes embroiled in the hunt and a suspenseful murder mystery ensues








I started this book as we left London yesterday, and by the time we stopped for services two hours later I had very nearly finished it.

What really drew me to this book was the cover. In a world dominated by covers with gorgeous girls in flowy dresses and prom like poses. The image is so original! I love the girl running through the door and the big font. It really does express the tone of the book, it isn't quite as dark as other paranormal/supernaturals out there but it still has the serious tone about it. As well as the gorgeous cover, I also loved how this book was completely original. Sure, there are books about people with awesome powers but this is completely original in the way that it dealt with it.


I loved the characters in this book. Lila is strong and very stubborn but she makes some pretty stupid decisions at some pretty stupid times, which I didn't really mind as it pushed the story along and I agreed with her behaviour. I also think that the love interest, Alex is awesome! He's kick ass and swoon worthy even though he has no mythical powers himself, he has a gun! Also, I liked Jack, Lila's brother who is totally protective and seemed so realistic.


The love story is adorable. I love how Lila had like Alex from a young age, it meant that the romance aspect didn't seem rushed at all, I also love how cute she was around him and how he didn't show really obvious signs of liking Lila, it seemed perfect pacing. I did find that there was one guy in Alex's unit, Jonas that seemed to like Lila too, and this could have been developed more, it seemed like Alderson started to develop it then thought 'nahhhh' and left it hanging.


The book develops at a great pace. I was never bored and never thought it went too slow, and I was on the edge of my seat so many times. There were some fantastic twists and turns that I was not expecting and that had me gripping the edge of my seat wondering if it was true!


All in all, a fantastic debut which completely remodels the young adult market, I will definitely be getting the sequel as soon as I can!


Rating: A

Book released August 4th 2011 by Simon and Schuster UK
Book received for review, many thanks to Simon and Schuster UK.

3 comments

  1. Thanks so much for the awesome review! As for the boy in Jack's unit who likes Lila - Jonas...I developed that storyline on purpose and left it for book 2! So you'll be seeing him again but not until summer 2012! The sequel isn't out until then I'm afraid. Fated (out Jan) is a totally new book - but I really hope you like that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment Sarah, thanks for reading my review. I'm glad to hear about Jonas, I felt like it was left hanging so I'm glad to see him in the sequel! I didn't know about Fated, thanks for clearing that up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome review. I need this book so badly. I think I'll be buying it once my book ban is over! :D

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.