Review: Reborn by Ley Mesina

Reborn (A Goddess of Night Novella)Lily Westbrook knows she is anything but ordinary. When her powers fully mature on her eighteenth birthday, she realizes that being half witch and half vampire is more of a challenge then she was let on to believe. 

After being accepted to Kensington University in Cedar Creek, Massachusetts, she sets out on a journey that pulls her deeper into the world of witches and vampires, uncovering the truth about her past and discovering who she is meant to be.


Before I talk about how good this novella was, I'm going to get the bad stuff out of the way. The novella has the raw, unfinished vibe that a lot of self-published books have, meaning that there were a few spelling, grammar and vocabulary mistakes (the work momentums used instead of mementos, their instead of they're, a few issues with punctuation), but while this slightly detracts from the book it never is an issue. I also felt like the point of view jumped between characters too quickly which got very confusing as well as a few tense problems, which switched from "Lily was" to "Lily is".

Okay, so thats the big bad bits out of the way, I do have to say that I really enjoyed the concept of this novella. I like vampires and witches being enemies and I liked that Lily was half of each. This book is very short and there are no parts where you're sat on the end of the seat holding on tight, but it's still entertaining and because it's short, you can read it in one setting. All plot holes were covered and the execution of the storyline was extremely well done.

I wish there was more romantic development, as we can see that the romance is there, but it isn't built on, which, while being a change from all the love at first sight, was also a bit frustrating. There wasn't a lot of character development as well, so they didn't really feel like real people, even though I did like them, I never related to them.

The reason I'm going to give this a slightly lower rating is because I seem to be developing a thing against vampire novels and I always seem to dislike them a little more than other paranormals.

For the story and the execution, I give REBORN a B, 

But taking into consideration the language errors and my personal preference against vampires, REBORN gets a reasonable 

Rating: C+

Stand alone/series: First in a series
UK Release: May 25th 2011
Publisher: Self published
Book obtained via: E-book supplied by the author

1 comment

  1. Great review. I received Reborn from the author for review. It's coming up quickly on my review list. Thanks for giving me a heads up on what to expect!

    -Mocha from A Cupcake and A Latte: YA Reads, Reviews & More!.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.