Review: Notes to Self by Avery Sawyer

Notes to SelfTwo climbed up. Two fell down.
One woke up.

In the aftermath of a traumatic brain injury, Robin Saunders has to relearn who she is and find out what happened the night everything changed.




I can't believe how much this book moved me, I actually struggled to get into it at the beginning but then I was gripped, Robin's story was beautiful and touching and dealt with not only her brain injury but also the worry over her best friend, love, the loss (and creation) of friendships and finally, deciding who she is.


As I said above, I did struggle with the pacing at the beginning a little, and to be honest it wasn't amazing all of the way through - it seemed slow and it was really only the storyline that kept me reading. I'd advise anyone to push their way through it because it's definitely worth forcing yourself through one or two slow chapters.


I was so involved in Robin's story and I began to feel so much emotion for her, when she was happy, so was I and when she was sad I was too. I felt at times she became a little whiny and I was put off her a little but most of the time she was a pleasant and realistic main character. I loved her story because it wasn't just her getting over her accident, it was the journey that she went to to find out what happened and to find herself and it was such a beautiful and well written story.


The side characters are well written, it wasn't hard to fall for Reno, or sympathise with Josie. I had mixed feelings for Emily, but came to like her at the end, I think this was because I didn't actually get to know her as a person, only through Robin's memories.


Overall, a beautifully written book with great characters. A fantastic coming of age story. The pacing was lacking a little though that was my only issue.


Overall Rating: A-



Book received from the author for review.

1 comment

  1. Great review, ive had this on my wishlist for a while and want it even more now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.