Review: The Princess and the Hound - Mette Ivie Harrison. !Didn't finish!

He is a prince, heir to a kingdom threatened on all sides, possessor of the animal magic, which is forbidden by death in the land he'll rule.
She is a princess from a rival kingdom, the daughter her father never wanted, isolated from true human friendship but inseparable from her hound.
Though they think they have little in common, each possesses a secret that must be hidden at all costs. Proud, stubborn, bound to marry for the good of their kingdoms, this prince and princess will steal your heart, but will they fall in love?


Now I will take a moment to just point out that of the many books I have ever picked up, maybe 0.1% of them I didn't finis, this, unfortunately was one of that ever-so-small percentage.

I was expecting a book narrated by a princess, maybe even her hound, I was thrown off at the first hurdle by it being narrated by a Prince instead, I was constantly waiting for a switch in the point of view, that never came.

At first I liked the writing and the pacing, even the characters, but there is only so much cold, stubborn spoiled Princess-ness that I can deal. the writing very much reminded me of Shannon Hale, at the beginning, so I was expecting something fantastic, but the story was moving a little too slowly, I couldn't find any action or intrigue, just romance, and not a well developed one. It felt like George just instantly fell in love with... erm... the character he did and to be honest, I found it all a bit weird. It was a decent enough twist, but just... not convincing.

I gave it up very near the end, maybe forty pages away, but to be honest, I have a pile of books to be read and don't really want to waste time torturing myself by reading a book I was not enjoying in the slightest.



Stand alone/series: Part of a series that can be read as stand alones
Released: May 27th 2008 (paperback)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 432
Book obtained via: Borrowed

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.