Review: Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzman

Circle of Silence (WiHi, #2)
A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cryptic notes. A circle of silence keeps the society a mystery. No one knows its members, agenda or initiation secrets—until a student lands in the hospital understrange circumstances.

I will blow this story wide open and stop others from being hurt…or worse. And while my ex, Jagger, might want to help, I don't trust him yet. (And, no, not because of our past together. That is not important to this story.)

But whether you find me, Valerie Gaines, reporting in front of the camera, or a victim in the top story of the newscast…be sure to watch Campus Newsat 9:00 a.m. this Friday.




I really enjoyed this book, it was edgy and gritty but also fun and had some humour which kept the story from rolling into too deep and edgy. This is one of those books that creep up on you, I wasn't gripped at the beginning but as the pranks began to get more dangerous and more clues are dropped about who is actually in MP. I actually didn't see the answer coming until right at the end and now I see the hints that were dropped throughout.

Valerie is for the most part a good main character, at times she put herself in dangerous situations when she could have just told an adult about what was going on but usually she was pretty level headed and very driven, I love driven and dedicated characters. I liked Val's friends, Marci, Henry, Raul and Omar were a diverse group of friends that made sure Val was being sensible. I also liked Jagger who is Val's cheating ex, I loved the romance in it because despite the fact that the two have history Val makes him work for her and the relationship develops slowly and we come to trust and care for him as Val does.

The writing in this book doesn't really seem like much but the tone and the suspense is developed at a decent pace and Tanzman manages to create twists that could have been seen and drop hints that don't really get caught on to.

Note: This book is a sequel/counterpart but can easily be read without reading dancergirl (WiHi #1).

Overall Rating: B-



Book released 24th July 2012 by  Harlequin Teen
Book received as an eCopy for review via NetGalley

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.