Review: Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Fury (Fury Trilogy 1)Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.

Em and Chase have been chosen.





Between the blurb for this book and the gorgeous US cover (the one that I'm using in this review is the UK cover), I have been so excited to read Fury. The premise is fantastic, two not-so-perfect teens having to escape from three beautiful but evil girls who want to make them pay. I was so excited to see how these characters had sinned and how they dealt with having these issues turned against them.


Fury wasn't the impressive read I was expecting, but neither was it as terrible as some reviews have made it out to be. My issues with Fury were small, but there are a lot of them that add up to annoy me, for example the furies are in Ascension looking for people who have done bad things to get revenge on. Why then, do they choose a bully and a girl who had made-out with her best friends boyfriend, surely there are rapists and murderers to get? Why get two teens who, despite having done bad things, are doing what a lot of teens have done? A little issue, but annoying nonetheless.


I wasn't a fan of the characters. Em was spoilt and naive and while I can understand her whole crush on her best friend's boy and delusion that he felt the same, she really dealt with it in a stupid way and didn't stop to think 'hey, you know what? He might just be playing me...', which made me totally dislike her, she's supposed to be clever but comes across as whiney and stupid to me. Chase was the character that I liked the most, you can tell that he really is tortured by his actions and thus made me wonder why the Furies chose him, rather than somebody that shows no remorse... I did really like JD, Em's friend and later romance interest as he was the brains to Em's stupidity, telling her how it is, I liked that about him.


The story was fantastic and was executed at a great pace, despite the start being a bit slow While there wasn't many twists and turns and I pretty much expected a lot of what happened, I liked the direction that the story went at the end and I am excited to see how that continues in the sequel.


I do think that Miles' book suffered a little from tell and not show syndrome. Instead of giving us subtle descriptions and integrating it into the dialogue, she straight up gives us the descriptions, which mean that every chapter there is a paragraph dedicated to the description of a person or place, which totally annoyed me.


There is a lot of profanity, talk of sex and usage of terms such as 'cock-block'. My opinion on this is, yes, we teens do swear, we do have sex and while I never have myself, we do cheat. If you expect teens to say to each other 'Oh hello dear, you are a promiscuous women as you have lain with my beau' then don't read young adult books.


Overall, Fury is a story with a fantastic premise and great pacing, but it fell short in characterisation and narration. Some parts of the book made little sense and left a lot of plot holes. I would recommend this to fans of paranormal who have nothing else to read as it is an entertaining enough read, but I would not tell people to put it at the top of their TBR pile.


Overall rating: C



Stand alone/Series: First in a series
Release date: US- August 30th/UK September 1st
UK Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Book received as an eGalley from S&S Galley Grab

3 comments

  1. Great review!

    I have this one to review but I still haven't gotten round to it yet, I keep passing it over for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either - the characters weren't very likeable, but I was still interested enough to read on. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really well written review there Jade. I couldn't get past the first few chapters of Fury I didn't enjoy it at all and didn't persevere with it which is unlike me.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.