Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. 

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.



The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of those cross genre books that kind of works as a paranormal romance/thriller/suspense/mystery, you know the type I mean, the ones that usually don't work because they try so hard to do so much and it all becomes too complex and boring. Fortunately, Mara Dyer was one of the few books that take on a lot that actually worked. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the sequel.


I was gripped from the start, the mystery aspect comes into play right at the beginning and kept me gripped through the whole book, until the moment where much of it was revealed, there is still some questions left to be answered, which have me gagging to read the sequel, The Evolution of Mara Dyer. At the beginning, Mara seems like this surly and annoying teen but we soon find out why she is this way and throughout the book she becomes stronger, I liked that though she is a character with a 'power' she was very much a normal teen and was scared of her power. I liked a lot of the characters that were in this book, Mara's older brother is kind and supportive and her family are a complex group, but my favorite was by far Noah...


Yes, I have started a new paragraph, because I think that Noah deserves a full paragraph to himself... actually i could probably write a whole review on Noah and his attitude and his sexy, sexy quotes, however I will limit myself to a paragraph. I didn't know whether I liked Noah at the start, the bad boy with an attitude in books has to be well developed or I can't really get on with the character, thankfully Noah was such a likeable character. I loved his sarcasm and his snark, but he also protected Mara and looked after her and was just... well... damn sexy. I loved Noah, iIthink Noah deserves his own book... I could be his girlfriend in it... PLEASE MICHELLE HODKIN I'D BE YOUR BEST FRIEND AND BIGGEST FAN FOREVER PLEASE?! It could be called The Sexytimes of Noah and Jade.


But I digress... I really enjoyed this book, though there isn't that much setting it apart from many other paranormal romance books out there except the mystery aspect and even that is becoming far more common in YA books at the moment. Despite the fact that I loved Noah (Mara is one lucky b*tch) I did feel that at times the mystery and suspense of some moments was interrupted by the romance.


Overall.. a very fantastic book, I really enjoyed it though at times the romance needed to be turned off a little. I loved the characters and the storyline and JADE WANT HER NOAH!


Overall Rating: A-





Book released September 27th 2011 by Simon and Schuster
Book gifted from Les at My Keeper Shelf

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.