Indie April: Character Post by Michael Mullin, author of the Plight and Plot of Princess Penny

The Plight and Plot of Princess PennyToday's Indie April authors are Susan Kaye Quinn, author of Open Minds (review here) and Michael Mullin, author of The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny (review here) and 8: the Previously Untold Story of Creepy the Dwarf (review here)

I am absolutely in stitches over this character post by Michael Mullin, which is by Creepy the 8th Dwarf (from Michael's first TaleSpins book, 8) about princess Penny (from The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny).
Enjoy!



I’m not a big fan of blogs because most of them are pretty lame. That said, this one’s pretty cool, so I agreed to write here today. I’m not looking for any more fame or anything, but I am glad my story is finally out there . . . you know, told . . . or written. Whatever.

The author, that Mullin guy, was okay. He did his homework, including a kind of interview with me. (He doesn’t talk in rhymes, thank god. That would have been beyond annoying.) The important thing is he got the story right. And I guess I’ve been asked here today to tell you how that happened.

Guest Editor’s Note: It was at this point we informed Creepy that the blog’s day -- and his guest post -- were to be about The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny, Michael Mullin’s other book.
Of course. That figures. I guess it won’t be long until I’m forgotten again. Whatever. Probably for the best.

Yes, I read the Penny story and yes, I know her. (Don’t ask how; I just do.) The truth is she’s pretty cool. Plenty of people try to do the ‘‘I’m different’’ thing, and it’s just epically fake. Here’s a good rule of thumb: If someone’s ‘‘I’m different’’ vibe comes with any sort of ‘‘Look at me!’’ vibe, you can pretty much roll your eyes and go back to the game on your smartphone.

But Penny is the real deal. She went through a lot of weird stuff. I suppose she’s going to be more famous than I ever will be, and that’s cool. I’m not into that. Neither is she, actually, but she’ll probably deal with it better, being from a royal family and all.

Part of me wants her to turn into some pop-star ‘‘Lady PP’’ diva so I can just hate her and get it over with. But she won’t; I know that’s not her scene. Her parents rule a kingdom, and she’s never gotten full of herself, so I doubt any amount of book sales would change her.

I guess the main thing we have in common is that we come from this other realm, and people didn’t treat us very nicely. But you gotta be yourself no matter what. I don’t say that here to be preachy -- I’m just talking about what made our situations (mine and Penny’s) worth reading about. It sucks that so much of life seems to be the individual vs. the crowd. Not sure why that is, but I’ll bet anything in my basement room that it won’t be a crowd that changes things.

The truth is there’s a crowd for everyone. And by ‘‘crowd’’ I don’t mean fans at a baseball game. Your crowd can be any size, and let’s face it, the smaller it is, the more meaning it has. In other words, your best friends are the ones who qualified before ‘‘friend’’ became a verb. Know what I mean?

Thanks for taking the time.

~ Creepy (the 8th Dwarf)

1 comment

  1. Creepy,

    It doesn't sound to me like you have to worry about being forgotten any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.