Indie April Review: The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny by Michael Mullin

The Plight and Plot of Princess PennyFrom the author of "8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf" comes an original fairy tale about a teenage princess who hires the witch from "The Frog Prince" to get revenge on a Mean Girl at school. (Intended for YA readers and up.)



Oooh, I love what Michael Mullin does with these TaleSpins books, he completely changes the story around. In his first TaleSpins book he gives us Creepy, the 8th dwarf but Princess Penny isn't from any fairy story that I know though there are references to other fairy stories in the pages.


This is a quick and fun read, it took me around ten to fifteen minutes to read it and I felt fully satisfied after I was finished. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed 8 mainly because this was a little lengthier and I'm not sure that the rhyming really worked as well with this one as it was a long tale in itself but I still really did like this for a quick inermission read.


I love the whole fairy tale-ness of it! Witches and transformation spells and handsome boys and princesses. I also really loved the touch of modern on this though, Penny is alienated and has a learning disorder and I really liked how well this will resonate with readers.


Overall, a great addition to the Tale Spins collection. I love reading these short, rhyming books because they grab me and entertain me when I'm not in a mood for the longer books. I don't know whether the rhyming in this book worked as well as it did in 8 though.


Overall Rating: B-



Book received for review from the author.

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.