Indie April Interview: Jennifer Krey, Author of The Hollow of Mont Noir

Today's Indie April author is Jennifer Krey, author of The Hollow of Mont Noir. (review here) 

Jennifer has stopped by to answer a few questions about herself, her book and her experiences and has also given you guys a Smashwords coupon for 50% off the book. (Seriously, go get, it's fantastic!)



Hi Jennifer, thanks for stopping by!
Thanks so much for having me!  I'm thrilled to be here!


Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I'm a stay-at-home mom with two little boys, ages 6 months and 2-1/2 years.  I've always enjoyed reading and writing, and I'm very excited to have published my first novel!  I also like cooking and baking, and I'm really into Paula Deen right now.  I know that a lot of her food is totally bad for you, so I try to limit myself to no more than one recipe a week.  I just made Elvis Pie (a peanut butter and banana pie) and it was outstanding!  I also love Elvis, so it was perfect for me!  My family loved it as well, and they're already asking to have it again.


Can you describe The Hollow of Mont Noir in three words?


Without-A-Trace meets Twilight.  (I made Without A Trace one word... is that cheating?)
(Yes.)

Why should people read your book?


I think (hope) my book is a fun, easy read.  It's part of a series (the Howl Series) that I see as being four books, and I'm already working on the second book, "Ochre Sky," so hopefully, my readers won't have to wait too long for the next book.


Who is your favorite character in The Hollow of Mont Noir?

Tough question.  If they were actual people, Riordan would probably be my favorite, but I really enjoyed writing for Samantha Bellamy.  She is kind of nasty, and that was fun.  Samantha is my husband's favorite character, too.  He wants me to write a spin-off just about her, but I have too many other ideas in the queue right now.
(Do it! Samantha is such a mean character so a spin of would be awesome!)

Were any of your characters based on real people? (If Riordan was, feel free to send him my way...)

No, none of the characters were based on real people, but someone recently asked me what famous person Riordan might look like.  He would look like River Phoenix (the post-Stand By Me River Phoenix with a bit longer and darker hair).  I adored River Phoenix - he was my first celebrity crush.  I won't say how old I was when he passed away, but I was old enough to be heartbroken.  I still remember where I was when I heard.


Seriously, Lycan or Strigoi? Why?

Well, in the Howl Series, the lycans (werewolves) are basically good and the strigoi (vampires) are basically bad... according to the lycans, anyway, which is the only viewpoint we get in "The Hollow of Mont Noir."  So, in this book, I'm definitely on the lycans' side, but.... things can always change.  That's all I'm going to say.
(Oooh, epic foreshadowing?)

What advice would you give to anybody planning to self-publish?

Enlist the help of your friends to review and proofread your book!  I put out a plea on Facebook, hoping for one or two reviewers, and I actually got a huge response.  I had classmates from high school and college, former colleagues, and friends all offer to read my book before I published it, and I can't thank them enough.  They caught typos I had overlooked even after reading the book fifteen times and offered suggestions to improve the story in many ways.


Thanks for being here today, any last words to see to the readers?
Thank you so much for your support!  I would like to offer all readers of Ink Scratchers a 50% discount on "The Hollow of Mont Noir" ebook through Smashwords.  Enter code BZ99E at the checkout to purchase the book for the promotional price of $0.99 through May 31, 2012.  Thanks again for having me here!

(Isn't she awesome?)

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.