Review: Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan

High school sophomore Daisy Jones is just trying to get by unnoticed. It doesn’t help that she’s the new girl at school, lives in a trailer park, and doesn’t even own a cell phone. But there’s a good reason for all that: Daisy has a secret, unpredictable power—one only her best friend, Danielle, knows about. 

Despite her “gift” (or is it a curse?), Daisy’s doing a good job of fitting in—and a cute senior named Kevin even seems interested in her! But when Daisy tries to help Vivi, a mysterious classmate in a crisis, she soon discovers that her new friend has a secret of her own. Now Daisy and her friends must deal with chilling dreams and messages from the beyond. Can Daisy channel the power she’s always tried to hide—before it’s too late?


Wow, this was creepy and mysterious and very thrilling. Parts of it sent shivers up my spine and all the way through I had this impending feeling of doom, like nothing was as it seemed and something was about to happen. I wouldn't say it was scary in the same way as horror movies or Stephen King books are, but it was very kind of contemporary, gothic, sci-fi. So very atmospheric and I really enjoyed it.


What I loved was the premise. It was quite different in plot line to the other supernatural powers kind of books that I have read lately. I loved watching the different characters in the group fit together as they all had something to add to the story. Daisy is the glue, the whole story centers around her and she was so fantastic as a main character because she was strong but she also had her points of weakness (I mean, going crazy in school with the vending machines and the fire alarms, psycho electro girl!). Danielle was the more feisty kind of attitudy girl and whilst I didn't really connect with her because I struggled to like her character traits she definitely added another dimension to this creepy story. I loved loved LOVED Kevin, he was so fantastic as both a voice of reason and a love interest and I was so rooting for Daisy and him and Vivi was just amazing as a character, so well rounded, a little creepy and shy but very strong minded when you got to know her.


I also liked how the book slipped between past and present through Daisy's dreams. I won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the book but the past and present tied together so well and also allowed lots of plot twists. Seriously, the amount of times I thought that i knew what was coming and BAM! Plot twist strikes me down. 


Despite all of this and the fast pace of the book, there were times when I kind of lost a little interest, I think it was something in Buchanan's writing style that just didn't grab me, though I can't say what it was.


Overall, a fantastic plot and an awesome cast of characters mean that this book was extremely awesome. If I had anything against it, it would be that the writing style just didn't grab me. Nonetheless, Gift is one I would highly recommend.


Overall Rating: A-



Released March 27th by Open Road Media
Received as an eGalley from NetGalley.

1 comment

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.