Spotlight Sunday! Review: Witchblood by Emma Mills



Spotlight Sunday is a weekly meme in which I review a indie/self-published book.


WitchbloodWhen Jess steals a glance at a gorgeous guy in a Manchester nightclub, little does she realise how he is going to change her life…or should that be death? Yet, the vampire clan could never have predicted what they were taking on.
With Luke pronounced ‘off-limits’ and the blood of a vampire simmering in Jess’s body, can she forget the love of her life and move on? If not, she will risk exposing the entire Northern vampire clan to untold dangers, in order to live her life the way she wants.

Can Jess be sure that Luke is all he appears to be? Will she succumb to the attraction she desperately tries not to feel for Daniel? And why does she still crave a packet of crisps more than a tasty teenage boy’s blood?


Yes! A YA paranormal book set in good old UK! That makes me more happy than you can believe! 

I actually really do not like books with vampires anymore, I think they've been overused and glamorised and it annoys me to see so many series out there capitalising on the fang fandom but I was very impressed by this one. It wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable. The first think I will say is that I really did not connect with this book until the very end, I was enjoying it but I was not really feeling like I was part of the story and I think this may be down to Mills writing, which is very beautiful but uses too much description so as soon as I started to be gripped by the story there would be a part with loads of description that put the brakes on it a little, so that was a bit distracting. I also feel as though the storyline wasn't plotted very well, as the part about Jess's witch lineage just kind of came out of the blue with little precedence to it.

I really liked the characters though, Jessica was very believable in her reactions to things and she was a fantastic character, though she did cry a lit and at times her hard nut exterior got a bit annoying (she was very sarcastic and it went over the top at times). I loved Luke and Daniel equally, but I still kind of prefer Luke. I feel like I didn't get to know the witches and Eva as well as I would have liked so I'd like to see some more development there.

It wasn't a quick read for me as I was kind of putting it down quite a bit, but it was enjoyable when i got into it, so I say stick it out if you're struggling with the pacing because it is worth a read.

Overall, a good read with some pretty dark undertones. I would recommend it, but it isn't the most gripping book out there so I'd recommend with reservations.

Overall Rating: C


Book released January 9th 2012.
Received from the author for review.

3 comments

  1. You recived amazing books!I really hope you enjoy reading.

    Have a good weekend!


    Mariana - World of tori Vega.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the sound of this book and cant wait to get my hands on a copy!
    Thanks for the honest review, hopefully I'll enjoy it a bit more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jade, I only just saw the link to this due to my stupid email putting your email in my spam folder! Thanks for your comments I'll take on board...as WB was my first I think my writing has developed with the sequel Witchcraft and you learn more about the witches and the plot moves much quicker :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.