Review: Ripper by Amy Carol Reeves

RipperIn 1888, following her mother's sudden death, 17-year-old Arabella Sharp goes to live with her grandmother in a posh London neighborhood. At her grandmother's request, Abbie volunteers at Whitechapel Hospital, where she discovers a passion for helping the unfortunate women and children there. But within days, female patients begin turning up brutally murdered at the hands of Jack the Ripper.



Like many people, I am intrigued by the brutal and unsolved murders by Jack the Ripper so I knew that I had to read this, the supernatural element was just an added bonus. In short, this book kind of let me down a bit but I still enjoyed the read.


I think the best thing about the book was that it was just altered history, it was a fictional version of the real event so the same setting was used, the same year, even the same victims. The fact that it was set in 1888 meant that there was the gothic kind of victorian vibe, the mixture of religion and science and I really liked that vibe. I also like being able to get to know the victims, it made  it more than just a murder mystery.


I also really liked the other characters, despite the way that they lacked in development. Abbie was strong and rebellious, something that I love to see in historical books. I also really liked Will and Simon, polar opposites but they worked so well together. Simon was the quiet, caring one and Will was the more active and passionate one, I definitely prefered Will, but I liked them both. The bad guys were scary as well, Max in particular terrified me for some reason, but the scene at the end was terrifying!


the storyline was well planned and precise, I really liked that there was a good solid ending and no cliffhanger, but there is still space for a sequel, no sitting around qaiting for another for me, I'll read one if it happens but I don't feel as though I NEED to read another.


The dissapointment, for me, was the supernatural element. The historical mystery part was so well built and believable, but because the supernatural part doesn't really come in to the book until much later, and even then it's quite scarce I felt as though it seemed out of place, maybe even forced and I just didn't like how it tied into the crimes, I think that it degraded the book as a whole.


Overall, a gothic murder mystery that had me guessing the way through. Unfortunately, the supernatural part of this book ruined it for me.


Overall Rating: C



Released 8th April by Flux
Received as an eGalley via NetGalley

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.