Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.
Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry's first wife, Persephone.



Where to start? I found the first one in this series pretty average, it was okay but I had a few little moans (check out the review here) and some of the same things irritated me in this book that had annoyed me in that one but generally I found it better than the first.

I think what I like about this book is that a lot more happened in it, there was action and drama and adventure and so much happening that it was much more gripping, it also sets up a pretty evil cliffhanger and I am dying to read The Goddess Inheritance as soon as it comes out. I had a connection with the story and characters that I never had when i was reading The Goddess Test and I think that seriously made it much more enjoyable.

The thing that brought this down for me was the romance, it was a step up from The Goddess Test in that Henry actually acted like a decent human being for part of it, but I hated Kate's indecisiveness when it came to Henry and James, small as it was and Henry and Persephone! So much relationship drama drove me insane, the bit near the ending was romantic so I'm looking forward to less romance drama in the next one. On the upside, I'm not seeing Henry as Hades from Hercules anymore.

The characters in this book were pretty well developed. I still found Henry too broody and dark, but Kate was much more likeable and I actually really liked Persephone even if I wasn't meant to, she was actually a pretty decent person in the end although she started out as a brat.

The writing was amazing too, Carter has a writing style that really will appeal to teens as it is very relatable and I enjoy reading it.

Overall, a better book than the first with good characters and narration and a much more interesting storyline. the romance pulled it down a little for me though.

Overall rating: C+

Released March 27th by Harlequin Teen
Book received for review through NetGalley

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.