Indie April Review: Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1)When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep. 

Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her




Can I just say that this book is the epitome of awesome? In fact, I nearly exploded due to the utter awesomeness of this book... have you realised how much I enjoyed this book yet? Yeah, it was a lot.


Susan Kaye Quinn has really pulled it out of the bag here, this book was so fast paced and exciting that I read in in two sittings in about three hours and only reluctantly stopped reading at the end of the first sitting because I had to get some actual college work done. I was gripped from page one and never wanted this book to end because I loved Kira so much and Raf was gorgeous and Simon was such a flawed and layered character. I never knew where this book was going to go and everytime I thought I knew what was coming I was totally disproven by another plot twist. all of the plot twists were essential to the story though. 


I just loved the characters, Kira grew so much in this book from a zero, excluded and weak to the kick-ass Kira that saves people and this is because she experiences so much. First love, betrayal, grief... all written so well that we can see how Kira is learning from these experiences. I absolutely loved Raf,  he was sweet and caring but also flawed in that he pushes Kira away at times and gets jealous. Simon was such a difficult character for me to like but I loved how layered he was andeved how the reader never really gets to know his true thoughts until his end. even Laney and Xander, minor characters, were developed enough that i really cared about them.


Overall, this book was made of extreme amounts of awesome. Read it.


Overall rating: A+



Book received from the author for review

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.