Review: The Journeys of John an Julia In Chapter One Genesis by Aurelia

The Journeys of John and Julia in Chapter One: GenesisIt all starts when Julia’s parents totally mess with her summer. First Julia’s dad takes off to start a whole new family. Then Julia’s mom yanks Julia from cheerleader camp to spend the summer with her grandmother in the land of no signal, no mall, no best friend Kellie. Julia’s only hope for human contact is geeky John Freeman, who is six months younger than she and about a million years behind her idea of cool.
If only Julia knew that her mom plans to dump her at Grandma’s not just for the summer, but for a whole year. If only Julia knew that a collective of wondrous beings called The Twenty- Two are watching over her and trying to make contact. If only Julia knew that they could tell Julia every thought she never knew she had and bend her reality in any way they choose. And that she’d be with John Freeman when it happened. He’d think that was way cool.

And that is just the beginning. For this seemingly mismatched pair have cracked open the door to another reality. And their enemy-to-be, the beyond evil Niem Vidalgo Oten, is about to enter the picture.



This book was interesting but not for me, I managed to get through it and I liked how well it portrayed the difficulties of mother and daughter relationships, it may have worked as a coming of age novel but for me the twenty-two detracted from the novel. At first I was very cnfused, but this made me intrigued and I thought that John and Julia would be trapped between some feud between two forces, but really it never got any less confusing and it never really grabbed me. Where was the action? What was actually going on? Why did I actually finish this book? Those were the questions I asked myself after finishing the book.

Sure, this was an insighful book. If had just been about John and Julia it may have worked as a coming-of-age contemporary but all of the confusing metaphysical and the very impersonal writing just didn't work for me. I got through it and I did actually enjoy watching Julia and her mother sort out their problems, but after that there really isn't much more I can say about it.

Overall Rating: D


Released 29th June
Received from the publisher for review

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.