Review: Touched by Cyn Balog

Touched


Nick Cross always listens to the voice in his head. Because if he doesn't? Things can go really, really wrong. Like the day he decided to go off script and saved a girl from being run over . . . and let another one drown. Trying to change the future doesn't work.

But this summer at the Jersey Shore, something's about to happen that Nick never could have predicted. He meets a girl named Taryn and finds out about the Book of Touch. Now the path that he thought he was on begins to shift . . . and there's no way to stop things from happening. Or is there?


In a life where there are no surprises, nothing has prepared Nick for what he's about to discover--or the choice he will be forced to make...


Wow, this book was not what i was expecting. From the cover I was expecting something really dark and haunting and even though this book is kind of dark at times, it still was not exactly what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoyed this book! However I do feel that the haunting seaside setting shown in the cover could have been played on more to make the tone a little more creepy.

Still, this is a good book with a good premise and most of the time great execution. I loved the idea of Nick being able to hear the voices telling him exactly what he will do next, it was a quirky and original take on the concept of psychics. I also really liked the part that Taryn and her family played in it, the storyline worked so well until the end which just didn't work for me. I think the end just tied all of the ends together in a pretty bow and after the really emotional scenes we had up to there it didn't fit for me. Plus (without giving spoilers) it didn't make sense to me, he was a different person, would Taryn still like him when he'd changed? I'm trying to be cryptic here! 

The pacing and writing was fantastic at times and not so good at others. The beginning of this book seemed slow, messy and confusing to me but then picked up after that. At times Nick seemed like an authentic boy but then there came flashes where he behaved like a whiny teenage girl, which got on my nerves a lot.

Overall, Touched had a great premise which was executed well. The storyline fit together well though the ending didn't work for me at all. Nick was a good character but he seemed whiny and girlish at times...

Overall Rating: B-


Book released August 14th 2012 by Delacorte Press
Book received as an eGalley via NetGalley for review



No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.